Skydive Dubai – Diving into the World Record Books
Skydive Dubai was looking to raise its profile as a global progressive centre in skydiving and chose Active PR as their communications partner to realize this objective. The first activity the Agency was briefed on was an upcoming world record-breaking event, XCF, scheduled for the 5th of April 2014. Project XCF, Extreme Canopy Flight, was Skydive Dubai’s vision of making skydiving history by setting new limits for human flight by breaking the Guinness World Record for the smallest parachute jump. With the support of Emirates Aero Sports Federation and Skydive Dubai, Project XCF’s training and record attempts are going to take place at Skydive Dubai the Palm Dropzone in Dubai.
The Agency was tasked with driving an impactful and far reaching media campaign – targeting a diverse media landscape and geographies (local, regional and international) – to raise Skydive Dubai’s profile and the ‘centre’ where amazing fetes are achieved and world-wide records are broken.
- Time – The time frame in which the Agency received the brief to execute the PR plan was tight. The Agency achieved organizing this event within a timeframe of two weeks.
- Weather conditions – Due to the unexpected strong weather conditions, the jump we and the media were waiting for by Ernesto Gainza was pending. We had to manage the media during the event as they were waiting to shoot footage/photos and speak to the jumper, Ernesto, who was supposed to jump at 5PM, but didn’t do so until after 6PM that day. Due to the delay we had to act fast to provide the media with the content they needed to meet their deadlines for the morning papers.
- Managing the media – Soon after the announcement of the event, the volume of media requests received that had to be handled by the Agency was high.
- Crisis communications – Due to high risks involved with Ernesto’s jump, which could possibly end up in him failing the jump and losing consciousness, we had to factor in that we had to manage and liaise with the media on site.
- Strong media attendance at the event
- Solid set of interviews conducted with daily, monthly and broadcast media
- Targeted & creative media outreach to communicate the energy and excitement in the lead up to the event
- Consulted with Client on key messaging and approach/delivery
- Responsive to all media requests during and post event
The communication objectives were met and far exceeded by the Agency.
In addition to the objectives being met, Skydive Dubai’s target reach was achieved as well – with the XCF Guinness Record breaking news receiving worldwide coverage & interest.
- Pre – event
- 8 local pre-event interviews with dailies, weeklies, monthlies and broadcast (Radio)
- 1 International online interview
- During the event
- 3 interviews with local dailies
- 2 international broadcast interviews
- 13 media attended the event at Skydive Dubai
- Post – event
- 2 interviews with an online and a monthly publication
- 1 broadcast live interview
- 90 pieces of coverage and clippings were secured
On 5th April 2014, coverage spread all over the world as soon as Ernesto (record holder for jumping with the smallest 35” parachute ever) was handed over his plaque from the Guinness Book of World Record chairman. The news had far-reaching impact: Brazil, France, Germany, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Poland, Russia, The Netherlands, the UAE, the UK, the USA, and Venezuela.
“Active PR’s pro-activity and professionalism ensured excellent delivery and international success for the XCF event. Active PR delivered on key media opportunities with tier one dailies, monthlies and broadcast, both radio and TV, regionally and international. Not only did Active PR manage to raise awareness surrounding the XCF event locally but got the word to spread internationally as well, engaging media throughout Europe and ensuring great positioning coverage in print and broadcast. We look forward to working with them again on upcoming Skydive Dubai big news and exciting campaigns,” said Javad Khoramifar, Head of Marketing Services at Skydive Dubai.